Am I able to continue to breastfeed my child when they start at your Centre

Yes. The Centre will support you in every way that it can in order for you to continue to breastfeed. We can ring, text or email you when your child may need feeding or you can arrange specific times with your child's key teacher.

Am I able to visit before deciding to enrol?

Yes, we strongly encourage you to. Click here to make a time.

Are families advised if other children at the centre are sick?

If there’s been a confirmed case of an infectious disease in the centre, the room the child is in will display an infectious disease fact sheet so that parents are aware of symptoms to look for. Kids’ Domain has stringent policies for illness and isolation and the centre is governed by a dedicated Health and Safety policy.

Are nappies provided for babies and toddlers?

No, parents provide nappies for their babies and toddlers.

Can we use cloth nappies at the Centre?

Yes. You will just need to ensure you also provide a fully sealable, waterproof container or bag for used nappies to go in.

Do I need to pack a sunscreen?

Kids’ Domain provides child-safe sunscreen as we are committed to being a sun safe organisation. However, if your child has sensitive skin, please feel free to pack your own preferred brand.

Do the children receive meals?

We provide morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and also provide breakfast (for early starters) and a late snack where required. Kids’ Domain follows the guidelines of the healthy heart foundation and our chefs create fresh, healthy meals for the children. A nutritious diet is vital for children’s development, so we make sure to provide meals that give children all the nutrients and energy they need. Children love to eat together, so the meal times at a centre are always fun!

Do we still have to pay if our child is away sick or on holiday?

Yes, you are still required to pay. You are not required to pay for Public Holidays or when the Centre closes for 2 weeks over the Christmas/New Year period.

Do you offer 20 Hours ECE for 3, 4 and 5 year olds?

Yes we do.  The base fee charged to all children is reduced by the 20 hours ECE subsidy once a child reaches the age of 3 years old. 

How are the Work and Income Subsidies paid?

They are paid direct to the centre and parents are responsible for paying the amount outstanding between the subsidy and the fees. It is the responsibility of the parent to ensure the subsidy does not expire. However we will endeavour to remind you.

How do I enrol at a Kids’ Domain Early Learning centre?

When you enrol at Kids’ Domain Early Learning centre, we'll support you every step of the way. Our Administrator will invite you to take a tour of the centre first so you can see where your child will be cared for and to ensure you are comfortable with your decision. They will then provide you with an enrolment pack that contains everything you need to know about the centre and your child's routine and a quote for your weekly fees. We encourage you to ask as many questions as you like – we are committed to providing open, honest communication that supports your decision.

How do you settle new children?

The first few days your child is away from parents and their usual, familiar surroundings can be difficult and he/she may be a little anxious and unsettled.  We require several visits to the centre before regular care starts to familiarise the child with their new surroundings and meet staff and other children.  Do remember that our staff are experienced with comforting unsettled children and will always do what is best for your child and your family. If you are at all anxious about your child do not hesitate to call the centre at any time for reassurance

How is the waitlist managed?

If there are no vacancies at the centre you may want to join the waiting list. The lists are regularly reviewed by centre staff. You'll be contacted if a place becomes available. You can take yourself off the waitlist by contacting the centre anytime you wish.

How much does it cost?

Depending on how many days your child attends, and the age of your child, the cost is varies. Please see our current fees schedule here. 

Is the centre open during school holidays?

We are open for the holidays during the school year, but we close for two weeks over the Christmas/New Year period.  We also close for all public holidays.

My child has allergies or is intolerant to certain foods?

Our centre has a long history of supporting children with allergies. Currently the centre is nut and egg free (eggs in baking are allowed). Our staff have current first aid certificates which includes training to respond to allergic reactions. If your child has a severe allergy, let us know and we can discuss options.

Should my child bring toys from home?

Sleep ‘toys’ and comforters are welcome; however we encourage these to be kept exclusively for sleep or during times when children need comforting.  Please do not bring other toys to the centre as we already have plenty of resources and materials for the children to choose from. 

What are the qualifications for early childhood teachers?

A Diploma of Teaching ECE usually takes three years of part time study at a NZQA recognized college while working at least sixteen hours a week in a childcare centre.
A Bachelor of Teaching ECE takes three years of full time study at tertiary institute or university. Teachers must also be registered with the New Zealand Teachers Council.

What behaviour management strategies do you use?

 Kids’ Domain has a strong belief in social and emotional intelligence which is directly related to supporting children positively as they develop their social competencies.

What do I need to pack in my child's bag?

When you start at a Kids’ Domain Early Learning centre, you'll be provided with a list detailing exactly what you need to pack, depending on your centre's specific requirements and your child's age. Consider packing:

  • A sun safe hat which covers your child's face, neck and ears
  • Change of clothes (when involved with hands-on play-based learning, your child may get a little messy!)
  • Comfort item (if required), such as a blanket or sleep time cuddly
  • Dummy in a sealed, named container (if required)
  • Bottles and formula or expressed milk (if required)
  • Nappies (if your child is still in nappies)
  • Any medications – please give these to centre staff to manage directly.

What does the centre provide?

Aside from all the care and education, the Centre provides food and snacks, bibs, face cloths, sunscreen, baby wipes, tissues, filtered water, sheets, blankets.

What government benefits are available to families?

Work and Income NZ may be able to help with assistance towards childcare costs. Just speak to WINZ to find out if you are eligible for subsidies and to what amount.

What happens if I am late to pick up my child?

If the teachers have not received a phone call from you and are unable to contact you, they will contact the emergency numbers on the enrolment form.

What hours are you open?

Kids’ Domain is licensed to open between the hours of 6.30 am and 5.30 pm week days, and is closed on the weekends and all public holidays.  At enrolment we agree the days and hours a child will attend up to a maximum of 9 hours a day.  We organise our staff rosters according to the number of children booked, so timing is important. 

What if my child is unwell during the day?

The teaching staff will contact you if they are concerned about your child during the day. Together you can decide the best action plan for your child.

What's the Baby-to-Caregiver Ratio?

To thrive, babies need lots of one-on-one attention — being held, talked to and rocked. That means a maximum of three or four babies per caregiver; for toddlers, no more than five or six. Though numbers are mandated by the Ministry of Education Kids’ Domain sticks to a lower ratio for optimum care.

Who can I talk to during the day?

Kids’ Domain is a partnership with parents, whānau/family and teachers. We like to take every opportunity during our conversations with you to share your child's progress and development. If you have anything you would like to discuss with us, simply ask or make a time to come back.

Why do you need a copy of my child’s immunization form?

This is a requirement of the Ministry of Health. If there is an epidemic of any kind such as measles, it is important to know who is immunized and who isn’t.